SEND Information Report

Easington Lane Primary School

Parent Information –  2017/18

Special  Educational  Needs and Disabilities Information Report


All Sunderland Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical needs.

What is the SEN information report?

The LA Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25.  .

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

The report can be accessed through our school website using the link at the bottom of this page.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

The Special Education Needs Information Report

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.

The questions below provide information about the Special Educational Needs Report for Easington Lane Primary School.

Question 1
Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

If you have any concerns about your child’s learning or any area of Special Educational Needs then the following people can be approached to discuss your concerns:

The Class teacher

The class teacher would be your first point of contact and is responsible for;

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary.
  • Support Plans that are used to set specific targets to support your child’s learning. The class teacher is responsible for sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child are identified on the support provisions maps.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The SENDCo – Miss S. Johnson.

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are
  1.  i) involved in supporting your child’s learning.
  2. ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting.

3. iii) involved in reviewing how they are progressing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Headteacher – Mrs S. Nordstrom

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor – Mrs Ivison

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

School contact telephone number 0191 553 6730

Question 2
What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?
a) The class teacher provides excellent, targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching.)

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

b) Specific group work

 This may be intervention which may:

  • Take place in the classroom or a different learning environment within the school.
  • Be led by a Teacher, Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) or a Teaching Assistant (TA)


c) Specialist groups run by outside agencies

This means they have been identified by the SENDCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. Some of these include:

Autism Outreach Team (AOT), Language and Learning, Visual/ Hearing Impairment Teams, Education Psychology Service (EPS), Speech Therapy.

What could happen?

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs more and be able to improve support for them in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

d) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Autism Outreach Team (AOT), Language and Learning, Visual/Hearing Impairment Team, Education Psychology Service (EPS), Speech Therapy.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’, they will decide whether they think your child’s needs seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, implement individual programmes or ones with small groups including your child.

Question 3
How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially who will listen and act upon your concerns. The class teacher will then discuss your concerns with the school’s SENDCo and arrange a time to discuss with you the next steps to ensure your child is supported.

If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENDCo).

The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.

Question 4
How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have.
  • plan any additional support your child may need.
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

Question 5
How is extra support allocated to children to ensure they progress in their learning?

On a regular basis, the needs of all children identified with SEND within school are reviewed and the provision and support needed to ensure these children make progress is planned and mapped against need.

The Head Teacher and SENCo decide on the deployment of resources to ensure effective provision and good progress for SEND pupils. Resources can include materials, additional adult support or outside agency involvement for example.

Any support or additional resources allocated is reviewed regularly to ensure it is impacting on learning and progress and is still responsive to need.

The school’s Accessibility Plan also provides information for supporting people with disabilities.

Question 6
Which other people provide services to children with SEND in this school?

SEND provision within school is constantly responding to need. The needs of the children may change so therefore the people who provide services may also need to change.

School provision

  • Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTAs)
  • Teaching Assistants
  • Lunch time supervisors
  • Lunch time kitchen staff
  • Breakfast club / Tea time club
  • After school clubs
  • Attendance 100

Local Authority Provision that can be delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual/hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • KS1 & KS2 Behaviour Intervention Team
  • Language and Learning Team

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

Question 7
How are the teachers in school helped to work with children a SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCo will support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND. (See Accessibility Plan also).

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes class specific, teacher specific and whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and Language difficulties.

Training needs are identified and addressed in response to the children we teach to ensure all staff working with any child with SEND can effectively cater for their needs and provide effective provision and care.

Question 8
How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, deliver adapted/personalised planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

All children with identified SEND will be given personalised learning targets (in the form of a Support Plan) to ensure the needs of your child are met and progress occurs.

Question 9
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

  • Their progress will be reviewed formally in reading, writing and Numeracy and you will be informed of their progress.
  • If your child is in Nursery or Reception, an Early Years Progress booklet will be used which highlights their attainment in the Prime and Specific Areas of Learning.
  • If your child is in Year 1 or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail.
  • In year 1, Children will be assessed using the phonics screen test.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) you will be informed of your child’s progress in the form of teacher assessment or Standard Assessment Tests (SATS) – whichever is most appropriate for your child and the level at which they are working.
  • Children identified with SEND will have an Support plan / personal targets which will be reviewed regularly and future plan made outlining the next set of targets to ensure continued progress.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENDCo will also monitor and ensure that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

Question 10
What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?

Your child’s class teacher will discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have surrounding your child at any time. The aim at Easington Lane Primary School is for parents and teachers to work in partnership to ensure the best provision possible for your child.

The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you, with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

Personal progress targets/Support Plans will be reviewed with your involvement.

Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

Question 11
How is Easington Lane Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

Easington Lane Primary meets all requirements for disabled access because we have.  The School Accessibility Plan ensures that the school and curriculum meets the needs of all children;

  • no stairs – the whole school is on one level.
  • a hoist/lift in the Foundation area.
  • handrails for physically disabled.
  • a disabled toilet.
  • We ensure, where ever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

Question 12
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If appropriate, we will arrange a meeting for you to attend at Easington Lane prior to your child moving schools. Yourself, the SENDCo from Easington Lane and the SENDCo from your child’s new school will be invited to attend. This will provide an opportunity for discussions to occur between all involved schools and yourself to ensure all information is passed on and you are comfortable that your child’s new school is prepared to meet your child’s needs.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Support Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • Your child will visit their new classroom and meet any new members of staff as part of our school’s transition policy in the Summer term.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of their secondary school and information will be passed onto your child’s new school.
  • A review meeting will be held for you to attend. In attendance will also be the SENDCo from Easington Lane Primary and the SENDCo from your child’s secondary school. This allow the needs of your child to be discussed in depth and for you to ask any questions regarding your child’s continued provision.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Question 13
What Emotional and Social Development support we have for a child with a SEND?

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have Emotional and Social Development needs that will require support in school.

The Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils is very important to us.

  • We have a robust Child Protection Policy in place which follows national guild lines including ‘Keeping Children safe in Education, 2016.’
  • We have a robust behaviour policy in place.
  • The Head teacher, Deputy Head teacher, Assistant Head teacher and all staff continually monitor the Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils.
  • We are an Anti bullying school and have received the Anti bullying charter mark award.
  • Our teaching assistants are trained to support pupils with emotional issues and can offer support if a child is in need of someone to talk to.

Please follow the link for access to the local authorities local offer:





You Say…

Follow me on Twitter

Success and Achievement


Call us on 0191 517 1700

Translate »